Founders’ Day (February 17) is when we celebrate the legacy and work of our founders—Alice McLellan Birney, Phoebe Apperson Hearst and Selena Sloan Butler—to better the lives of every child in education, health and safety.
It is a time to reflect and take pride in our achievements, and renew our commitment to be a:
- powerful voice for all children;
- relevant resource for parents; and
- strong advocate for public education.
Our founders represented women of imagination and courage. They had a simple idea—to improve the lives and future of all children. They understood the power of individual action, worked beyond the accepted barriers of their day, and took action to change the world for all children.
At the Founders Day event we issue Appreciation Awards. Appreciation Awards are a wonderful way to honor the hard work and dedication of PTA/PTSA volunteers.
These awards are available:
- Distinguished Service Award
- Michigan Honorary Life Membership
- Council Member of the Year
- Nancy Widman Award
Each award comes with a personalized certificate signed by the State President and a pin.
Reflections Art Program Celebration
The PTA Reflections Celebration is a powerful tool for encouraging students to explore and be involved in the arts. Together, school leaders and families offer positive reinforcement for participation in the National PTA Reflections program.
Parents and community leaders are welcomed into the school to discover the rich culture and artistic skills presented by student artists. An art exhibit with live student performances and an awards ceremony will showcase the importance of arts education in your school.
During the PTA Reflections Celebration, families will:
- Recognize their child’s participation and achievement in the arts.
- Discover new opportunities to stay involved in their child’s learning through the arts.
- Understand how arts programs provide necessary educational benefits and share their positive experiences with school and community leaders.