Based on Governor Whitmer’s ending of the “Safer-at-Home” order on June 1, the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) provided guidance regarding summer sports activities.
FOOTBALL: Drills are allowed that keep all players physically distant; there should be no physical contact or close proximity of players. Common equipment, such as the ball, must be cleaned as permitted during a practice or workout. Contact with other players is not allowed, and there should be no use of tackling dummies/shields/sleds. Protective equipment other than helmets is prohibited; helmets may not be shared.
Complying with all guidance published by MHSAA, the Southfield Public Schools football program is following the guidelines outlined below.
- Organized team activities will take place outside only.
- All coaches and students will be screened daily for signs/symptoms of COVID-19 prior to participating, including a temperature check and sanitizing hands before entering the stadium. This check will take place onsite.
- All participants are required to bring their own water bottle. Water bottles must not be shared. Hydration stations (water cows, water trough, water fountains, etc.) will not be used.
- There must be a minimum distance of 6 feet between individuals at all times, this includes instruction and conditioning. All participants will maintain social distancing when not directly being instructed by the coaching staff, e,g., water breaks, waiting for rides.
- Any student who prefers to wear a cloth face covering will be allowed to do so. Plastic shields covering the entire face will not be allowed during participation due to the risk of unintended injury to the person wearing the shield or others. Coaches, officials and all other personnel are encouraged to wear cloth face coverings at all times and are strongly encouraged to wear cloth face coverings whenever physical distancing is not possible.
- Physical contact such as handshakes, high-fives and fist bumps are not allowed. All equipment will be sanitized before use and cleaned intermittently during practices. Participants will be instructed to go directly home to shower and to wash and sanitize their workout gear.
Organized Team Activities Timeline (MHSAA - Level 2 / State of Michigan - Level 4 )
5:30 to 6 p.m. - COVID-19 screening in front of the stadium (athletes that pass screening will go to their designated area, marked off with tape for social distancing, to place their personal items, including water.)
6 to 7:30 p.m. - Organized Team Activities (all instruction will be 6 feet apart)
7:30 to 8 p.m. - Ride pick up (held in designated areas around the field house and stadium in order to maintain social distancing.)