COVID-19 Grant Info - GSRP, Head Start, Adult Ed, and Young Adult Special Ed Teachers
The Michigan Department of Treasury recently released details regarding the GSRP, Head Start, Adult Education, and Young Adult Special Education Teachers COVID-19 Grant Program according to Public Act 257 of 2020, Section 553. This program provides a grant of up to $500 to eligible GSRP, Head Start, Adult Education, Young Adult Special Education Classroom Teachers employed by a school district or nonprofit nonpublic school, who spent time outside of normal working hours and incurred additional costs in order to provide a continuity of learning during the period of school closure in 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In accordance with Michigan Department of Treasury program guidelines, the district has notified (via email) all employees who have been identified as eligible recipients for this grant opportunity. If you did not receive an email notification from the district and feel you should be considered, you may submit a written appeal to email@example.com. Your written appeal must be received by April 9, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE: Teachers who received or were eligible for the Teacher and School Support Staff grant (Form 5734) are ineligible for this grant.
· March 19, 2021 - Eligible Staff Notified/Form Distributed
The District will notify eligible staff and provide them with access to the electronic Teacher Certification Form 5741.
· March 19, 2021 - April 9, 2021 – Form Submission and Appeals Window
Teachers may begin submitting Teacher Certification Form 5741 using HelloSign. Teachers may also submit a written appeal to firstname.lastname@example.org if they have been deemed ineligible for the grant by the District.
· April 9, 2021 – LAST DAY to submit Form 5741! LAST DAY to submit Written Appeals!
Incomplete forms and forms or appeals received after the deadline will not be processed.
· June 4, 2021 - Checks in the Mail!
Michigan Department of Treasury estimates mailing checks on or about June 4, 2021, to the address provided on Form 5741.
Who is considered a Classroom Teacher for the purpose of this grant?
· Full-time or part-time GSRP, Head Start, Adult Education and Young Adult (ages 18-26) Special Education Teachers who provided continuity of learning to students during the 2019-2020 period of school closure that resulted from COVID-19.
What are the grant eligibility requirements?
· Teachers must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Prior to the issuance of executive order 2020-35 on April 2, 2020, the teacher performed at least 75% of their standard instructional workload in a brick and mortar classroom in the District.
- After the issuance of executive order 2020-35 on April 2, 2020, the teacher developed tools and methods to deliver distance learning, take-home packets, or other methods described in the District's continuity of learning plan.
- The teacher certifies to the district that he or she worked additional time spent outside of normal working hours experienced hazardous conditions or incurred additional costs related to ensuring students could effectively participate in the District's continuity of learning plan.
How do I confirm my eligibility for this grant program?
· Review the Eligibility FAQs listed above.
· Review Form 5741 to confirm whether or not you meet the program requirements.
How do I ensure I am included as an eligible grant recipient?
· Complete and sign Form 5741 electronically via the HelloSign system on or before the April 9, 2021 deadline. We are only accepting forms electronically from the HelloSign system. Once you complete and sign the form electronically using HelloSign, you will receive an email confirmation from HelloSign and your form will be sent to Talent Management/HR automatically. Please Note: If the Teacher was employed in a part-time capacity, the grant payment will be prorated accordingly.
If you did not receive an email notification from the district regarding your eligibility and feel you meet the requirements, please email email@example.com to submit an appeal.
How do I ensure I receive my grant payment?
· Meet all the eligibility requirements as outlined above and on Form 5741.
· Complete and sign Form 5741 using HelloSign on or before April 9, 2021.
· Submit a written appeal (if necessary) on or before April 9, 2021.
· Provide the address you wish to have your payment mailed to on your Form 5741.
District Employees are encouraged to log in to Employee Online to verify/update their address to ensure our records match what will be submitted.*
*Option not available to staff who work for the District through a third-party (e.g. EDUStaff).
What should I do if I do not get a response from Talent Management/HR about the status of my submission?
· Due to the volume of forms being submitted, you will only receive a response if the District determines you do not meet the eligibility requirements. If you disagree with the District’s determination, you may submit a written appeal for further review to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your written appeal must be received by April 9, 2021.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Please email email@example.com with any questions or to submit a written appeal.
Where can I find more information?
SPS Grant Review Team