National Honor Society
The National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) officially established NHS in 1921. Though many local and regional honor societies existed prior to 1921, no nationwide organization had been founded. Under the leadership of Dr. Edward Rynearson, principal of the Fifth Avenue High School in Pittsburgh, the organization grew from the original Alpha Chapter at the Fifth Avenue School to more than 1,000 chapters by 1930. Equipped with a constitution, an emblem and motto, and a group of dedicated principals as coordinators, the new NHS organization quickly developed into one of the country’s leading educational groups.
The National Honor Society (NHS) elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These four pillars have been associated with membership in the organization since its inception in 1921.
Join the Southfield A&T High School Chapter of the National Honor Society
Selection of Members Southfield High for the Arts and Technology National Honor Society
1. To be eligible for membership, the candidate must be in grade 10th thru 12th sophomore , junior or senior as designated by the credits obtained toward graduation. Candidates must have been in attendance at Southfield High for The Arts and Technology prior to application submission.- (Students who transfer into Southfield High for The Arts and Technology who were former members are eligible for admittance pending verification of grades and status.
2. Candidates must have a cumulative unweighted, unmodified scholastic GPA based on NASSP guidelines. Candidates shall then be evaluated on the basis of service, leadership, and character. The candidate must have the prerequisite grade point average and complete the Southfield High for The Arts and Technology National Honor Society Application by the posted deadline.
3. If a student has received academic misconduct, they are not eligible to apply for 365 days from the academic misconduct.
4. A description of the application process will appear on the Southfield High for the Arts and Technology website as National Honor Society. Selected members will receive an invitation to the induction via email. The selection procedure shall be determined by the Faculty Council and shall be consistent with the rules and regulations of the National Honor Society.
5. Membership induction shall occur, after first card marking of each school year, unless no qualified candidates emerge during the selection process. Active members are expected to attend the National Honor Society Induction Ceremonies.
Please stick to the deadline protocol as any application submitted after date will not be accepted.
Transcripts are required for verification of status and academic achievement.
Attendance: no suspensions or detentions for the past 6 months of school year February 2023-June 2023 & August 2023-present
One teacher recommendation letter (from core subject math, science, English, social studies)
SHA&T NHS Application 2023 2024
The application period is now over.