Frequently Asked Questions - ESOS, MESPA, SEA

How do I contact MESSA?

You may call MESSA at (800) 336 – 0013. You may set up your own personal account at

How do I contact Delta Dental?

You may call Delta Dental at (800) 482 – 8915 or access their web site at

How do I contact VSP-3 Vision?

You may call VSP-3 Vision at (800) 225 – 5877 or access their web site at

How do I contact BASIC about my Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

You may contact BASIC at (800) 444 - 1922 ext. 1 or access their web site at

How much will I have to pay towards my medical coverage?

All employees (ESOS, MESPA and SEA) pay 20% of the total billed MESSA premium amount.  These amounts are subject to change upon review by the District and your respective bargaining unit. Sufficient notice will be given to effected participants prior to any rate adjustments.

What are some of the highlights of my medical coverage?

Some of the highlights are: Enrollees in Pak A (includes: medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance)  have an in-network deductible not to exceed $500.00 per individual and $1,000.00 per family. Your in-network co-pay is now $20.00 for physicians office visit, $50.00 for hospital emergency room co-pay,  $25.00 for urgent care co-pay and a mental health/substance abuse co-pay of $20.00.  You also have regular office exam co-pays for in-network mental health and substance abuse treatment.

What if I already have medical coverage?

Messa guidelines require all MEA members to participate in a plan. MESSA Pak B (includes: dental, vision, life, and long term disability, excludes: medical) is the available option for members who do not require medical coverage.  All employees will still have to pay their 20% of the premium.

Have there been changes in my dental and vision coverage?

No, the Delta Dental and VSP-3 vision remains unchanged for the new school year.

What is a Section 125 Cafeteria plan?

The SPS District has arranged a premium only cafeteria plan for its employees. This plan was set up to allow employees to pay for their portion of the medical health coverage premium with pre-tax dollars. The plan is pre-arranged and employees are not required to do anything to take advantage of the pre-tax deductions. However, if employees do not want the pre-tax deduction, they must complete the Section 125 Cafeteria Plan form sent in the mail and return it to Human Resources and thus, the deductions will be taken out after taxes.

How do I purchase service credit for my pension?

Initially you should contact the Office of Retirement Services (ORS) and request a Member Billing Statement. This will detail the amount you will be required to pay for any service credit. This amount varies per member, so you have to speak to ORS directly. To contact ORS: (800) 381 – 5111 or, where you may also set up your own personal account on the account message board.

What is a 403(b) plan?

A 403(b) plan, also known as a tax-sheltered annuity (TSA) plan, is a retirement plan for certain employees of public schools, employees of certain tax-exempt organizations, and certain ministers. Individual accounts in a 403(b) plan can be any of varying types, including: (a) An annuity contract, which is a contract provided through an insurance company or, (b) A custodial account, which is an account invested in mutual funds. Generally, retirement income accounts can invest in either annuities or mutual funds. There are three benefits to contributing to a 403(b) plan. The first benefit is that you do not pay income tax on allowable contributions until you begin making withdrawals from the plan, usually after you retire. The second benefit is that earnings and gains on amounts in your 403(b) account are not taxed until you withdraw them. The third benefit is that you may be eligible to take a credit for elective deferrals contributed to your 403(b) account. The SPS District has arranged for GLP Strategic Administrative Group to act as the third party administrator for the 403b plan.  To contact the GLP Strategic Administrative Group:  (248) 489 – 0101 or

Teresa Foster
HRIS & Employee Wellness Coordinator