Welcome to Second Grade!
The Exciting Journey Through Second Grade
Students will understand that numbers are a global language with specific patterns and relationships.
- Numbers and Operations- Counting, reading, and writing numbers; identifying place value; comparing numbers; working with fractions; using money to develop place value and decimal concepts; exploring number patterns, rules for number sequences, relations between numbers and attributes.
- Measurement- Using tools to measure length, capacity, weight, and volume;using U.S customary and metric measurement units.
- Geomety- Exploring 2 and 3-dimensional shapes; classifying polygons
- Data and Probability- Collecting, organizing, and interpreting data using tables, charts, and graphs; exploring concepts of chance.
Students will understand that sounds and words are a form of communication. Students will understand that writing is a formal expression of communication.
- Phonemic Awareness
- Word Recognition
- Informational Text
- Reading attitude
- Writing Process
- Grammar and Usage
- Spoken Discourse
- Guided Reading Instruction
- Individualized Reading Instruction
Students will understand that all living things have a life cycle.
- Measurement of Properties
- Plant Life
- Earth’s Surface Features
- Uses and Properties of Water
Students will understand that there is a universal structure for communities.
Units of Study
- Defining the Community of Southfield
- The History of our Community
- The Geography of our Community
- Decision Making in our Community
- The Economy of our Community
- Technology: Smartboards, Elmos, I pads, computer lab
- Ongoing Spanish Instruction
- Project Based Learning
- Differentiated Instruction
- Meeting Individual needs
- Collaboration between teams members
Vicki Lenhard, Teacher
Noor Haddad, Teacher
Vandenberg World Cultures Academy