How to Apply for Free or Reduced Price Meals

2016-2017 Lunch Application  (Click on Link to Print Application)

Free Reduced Price Meal Application (Online Version)
(Available August 22, 2016) 

Children in households getting Food Assistance Program (FAP), Family Independence Program (FIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), can get free meals regardless of your income, if we receive your child's name from the state or with a completed application. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

We sell reduced price lunches for $.40 and breakfast for $.30. You must apply and be approved for benefits each school year to receive free or reduced price meals. Returning Southfield Public School students have a grace period to re-apply. This grace period expires on October 14th. Please note if no new approved application is on file, the child will be charged full price for meals after the grace period. Approval notices are mailed to the address on file for your child or emailed to the email address provided on the lunch application.

If a doctor has determined that your child has a disability, and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meal, the school will make any substitutions prescribed by a doctor at no extra charge. For further information, call Martha Ritchie at 248.746.8518. The doctor's statement, including diet and/or substitutions, must be submitted to the Food Service Department.


Your children may qualify for free or reduced price school meals if your  household  income falls within the limits on this chart.


          FEDERAL ELIGIBILITY INCOME CHART For School Year 2016-2017

      Household size




































Each additional person:







The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.