SPS Celebrity Readers Program
Become a Celebrity Reader!
Celebrity Readers was created by the Partnership for Education Council of Southfield Public Schools and gives participants the opportunity to read to students in Head Start through 5th grade during 30 minute, bi-monthly sessions throughout the school year. The program operates in all SPS elementary and K-8 schools, including Bussey Head Start Center.
“This program has grown substantially because the community as a whole understands the importance of reading. As a region we must improve literacy if we are to create a viable sustainable economy,” said Southfield Public Schools Superintendent, Dr. Lynda Wood. “Our district is focused on reading. Celebrity Readers helps us reach our goal of ensuring that every student can read and develops a lifelong love of reading.”
You can help reinforce literacy in the next generation and become a local Celebrity at the same time! All it takes is 30 minutes of your time spent with a class at one of our participating schools.
Here’s how it works:
- Reading occurs in the classroom with the teacher present.
- Reader signs up for a particular day and time to visit a school.
- Reader selects a book (with assistance if necessary).
- On the appointed day, bring in a book to share with the class and spend approximately 20 minutes reading the book and engage students in a question & answer session about the story.
- Spend the last 10 minutes discussing how reading is important in your work and/or life.
- Go home and savor the experience!
It's fun, easy & rewarding! Click below to sign up!
For more information or to volunteer, contact Alise Collier, Celebrity Readers Program Facilitator at email@example.com or (248)746-4331.